Born and raised in South Hadley, Kohl is a graduate of Pioneer Valley Performing Arts High School and has danced for the majority of her lifetime. She spent 2 years studying dance in NYC, while working as a character performer for Disney at the World of Disney Flagship Store. Her six years of experience as a co-host and associate producer of WWLP-22News’ NBC weekday morning lifestyle program Mass Appeal allowed her the chance to discover what fuels her soul and what her true purpose is: to bring joy to people of all ages and abilities through dance. She was one of Western Mass Women’s Magazines Top 25 Women to Watch in 2012, named “Top Woman in Television” and was named one of Business West “40 Under 40” in 2018. Three years ago she founded “One Ohana, Inc.”, a registered 501 (C)(3) non-profit organization that raises money to support local dancers and their passion for dance. She currently works as a TV Correspondent for Season’s Magazines / CT VOICE out of Connecticut. She has found true happiness and love with her partner Wade and loves spending time with her two children, Summer, 8, and Brody, 7… her heart & soul.
Ashley has always strived to make a difference in people’s lives. She lived in New York City, bringing joy to people of all ages by working as a character performer for Disney. She then went on to produce & host a lifestyle TV show on 22NEWS “Mass Appeal”, with a mission to make a positive impact in the community. After 6 years, she left her day job in television to pursue her dream of owning a dance studio – one that celebrates diversity, inclusion & acceptance. Her mission is to be sure everyone has the opportunity to experience the joy of dance. She’s faced several obstacles, both personally & professionally, but never gave up despite the challenges. She is driven, dedicated & passionate about making her mark on the world.
- Ashley is incredibly involved in her community. Her business, Ohana School of Performing Arts, has a mission to spread peace & positivity through performance. Ohana hosts charity dance concerts to raise money for various non-profit organizations, including but not limited to: Make A Wish MA & RI, We Love Riley Fan Club, Afrikque, Willpower Foundation, Square One, Pathlight & many others. Ohana has donated over $20,000 to charity since it opened its doors in 2016.
- Ashley is the Founder & President of “One Ohana, Inc.” in 2018, a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that has a mission to spread joy through the magic of dance. One Ohana translates to “One Family” and offers scholarships to dancers of all ages & abilities throughout the Pioneer Valley. The mission is to not only support local dancers but also to support local dance studios in order to continue to preserve performing arts education.
- Ohana partners with various community organizations to continue to spread the joy of dance to those who wouldn’t otherwise have the opportunity. These organizations include Sunshine Village, South Hadley Council on Aging & CHD’s Western Mass Dance & Movement. Ashley volunteers for Pathlight every year as a consultant and instructor for their annual “Let’s Dance” Fundraising event.
- In 2012, Ashley was named one of Western Mass Women’s Magazines Top 25 Women to Watch in 2012, named “Top Woman in Television”
- In June 2018, Ashley was named one of Business Wests “40 Under 40”.
- In October 2019, Ashley & Ohana received the Paul Winske Access Award from Stavros. This award is given to an organization that really goes the extra mile for people with disabilities.
- In April 2020, Ashley & Ohana received the Charles E. Veith Community Service Award from Pathlight. This award is presented to an organization or business with a demonstrated on-going commitment to improving the lives of those served by Pathlight through their extraordinary donation of time and expertise.
- Promotes & teaches the Wingman for Dance Program, which teaches students about kindness, self-acceptance, diversity and inclusion, giving back, and community service.
- Ashley volunteers to serve as emcee for various non-profit and community events throughout the year.
- Ashley volunteers to teach dance to preschool age children at Square One in Springfield.
- Ashley & Ohana School of Performing Arts are a member of the Chicopee Chamber of Commerce.